About Paleo Diet

What is the 'Paleo Diet'?

The diet is based on the belief that human beings have not yet evolved with a tolerance to grains and dairy or namely the 'agrarian' lifestyle brought about by farming and producing our own food sources. Instead it focuses its attention on returning to our ancestral roots of the hunter gatherers by consuming only foods that our ancestors would have eaten like grass fed organic meat, wild game, vegetables and minimal fruit.
The diet itself is not restrictive as some would believe and has numerous varieties of foods that can be consumed liberally without fear of gaining weight or causing any aggravation to one's body.


What will the 'Paleo Diet' do?

Due to the connection between processed carbs and refined sugars with diabetes, weight gain and heart disease the 'paleo diet' claims to aid in weight loss, reduce the chance of developing type 2 diabetes and heart disease and may help with autoimmune diseases. Only minor scientific studies have been carried out to prove the validity of the diet and many sceptics still remain. However a diet that encourages the consumption of healthy natural and unprocessed alternatives to our current lifestyle is well worth looking at particularly when over 60% of the worlds population are obese or overweight.

Day 3 ~ Intermittent Fasting on Paleo

Early start... been up since 6am but lovin it! I wanted to be prepared for today so I don't at ANY point buckle and buy crappy food while I'm out. I packed myself some fruit for quick energy if I get really hungry(I snuck in two hard boiled eggs too). Oh and I haven't been posting much about fluids/beverages but I am making sure I get my minimum 1 litre a day of water. Also I found a paleo food list pdf online and it said that diet soft drinks were acceptable in moderation to which my response was wtf? I don't think so! If you ever decide to go on any diet for whatever reason, research and use your common sense based on what you've learnt about food in general. My opinion is that soft drink of ANY KIND is not acceptable and should not be consumed by anyone EVER!!
If I get bored or feel like a sweet beverage I get a bit of carbonated spring water, add some freshly squeezed lemon juice and that is usually a nice change although you can be a bit more creative and add ginger or possibly even freshly juiced pear. Come up with your own flavours and see just how creative you can be! Herbal teas are great too just make sure they're organic.


Breakfast


Egg with beef mince sausages (parsely, cracked pepper and garlic flavour)

breakfast sausages
I have almost reached my quoter of eggs for the week which is limited at 6 per week.
I'm sure it would be wise to adhere to it but I am sure that if I went over by 1 egg occasionally it's not going to hurt all that much.




How am I feeling today?
Well it was a little easier getting into my skinny jeans this morning... :)) don't want to get my hopes up too early but I think my fluid retention has gone down again just that little bit more today. Cravings for processed carbs have started as I'd expected they would. Previously I was wheat free and dairy free but I heavily indulged in heaps of other processed carbs, kamut bread, rolled oats, muesli, gluten free crisps and snacks, rice milk, oat milk, rice and rice products, the list just goes on and on... I can see exactly why up until now I have been feeling like absolute crap. Processed/refined carbohydrates not only depleted my body of essential nutrients but made me complacent as well through convenience. There is no greater trap to ill health than eating for convenience or so I've learnt from this very experience. Honestly it takes commitment, courage and strength to truly eat for your health particularly when we are all bombarded with a media based interpretation of what is good for us but in saying that I believe it is possible to over ride all that influence with common sense and a desire to be healthy from the inside out, if I can do it anyone can! and that is exactly what I want to prove by doing the next 90 days without any processed rubbish.

*note I wasn't able to blog after this point yesterday but adhered 100% to the Paleo;
Late lunch was bbq chicken breast fillets with anchovies rolled in cos lettuce leaves. (I had two of them they were that good)!
Snack was a tin of premium Canadian sardines in olive oil, bones and all.
Skipped dinner but only because I felt really full after the late lunch. I don't recommend skipping meals unless you feel full and really don't feel like eating (listen to your body) but never starve yourself.
Evening beverage was some chamomile tea with spearmint. After 3 cups over  2 hours I was so dreamy I could have fallen asleep upright. That stuff is amazingly good before bed!! Try it if you have sleep problems!!

No comments:

Post a Comment